Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Woman Decides To Stop Living In Jungle, Eating Shit And Generally Being Humiliated

In more snappy tabloidese, Jordan Quits. Or as I gather from looking at the headlines while queueing in the supermarket, Jordan quit a day or two ago and now we've moved on to "Exclusive : The Real Reason Jordan Quit". While I haven't read the tabloids in question [1], and so the real reason might actually match the real real reason (see my title), I suspect it probably doesn't.

While reality TV doesn't normally feature in my relaxing downtime schedule, I did happen to catch some of the programme at the weekend. And what I didn't realize is that each week you the public get to vote on which particular victim, sorry I mean celebrity, gets to be demeaned in a cruel and vindictive manner. And in this particular series, Jordan has been picked something like six times in a row.

Does this remind you of anything ? Let's all pick on the weakest link repeatedly, make them eat bugs and stuff, until they break, then we all laugh ? Victims putting up with it because any attention is better than being ignored ? Two class clowns adding their own hilarious commentary and the passive majority sucking it all in because they have nothing better to do, and it feels good that it's not them everyone's pointing and laughing at ? But it's just a bit of fun sir. Yes, this entire country is 12 years old. Or in prison. I've never been in prison so I can't be entirely sure but I went to school and it sounds much the same [2]. This is a sick and rotten culture. Sick and rotten to the core.

PS While I'm here, I saw a back page headline "Wenger In Foul-Mouthed Rant At Theo". Or in other words, Football Manager Swears At Player. Slow news day ?

[1] In the interests of research, I probably should buy The Sun or The Mail one day and read it cover to cover. Just to see how ill it makes me feel.

[2] IIRC, Stephen Fry said that prison was much the same as public school, except the food was better.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admire a man who didn't know about the the public vote each week.
I don't watch that crap either, but somehow that fact broke through my defences.
Kevin

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, you've called this one wrong; the show's probably rubbish but the Jordan-voting redeemed it a little.

Fair play for not knowing about the show (I don't watch it but did know about the voting thing) but I imagine you know that Jordan recently split up (divorced?) Peter Andre. As I understand it, she has used all possible routes to show how great everything is with her life. A/ she can just fuck off and stop being unavoidably everywhere (I realise this is more a general media problem but she is the worst of a sorry bunch) B/ Call me a Victorian but splitting up from marriage with father of your children should lead you to hunker down for a bit or you're not functioning properly C/ I understand she's licenced the printing of many photos of her new man playing around with Peter Andre's kids and encouraging them to call him dad. I'm not Victorian here - that's terrible. (I swear to god I don't look out for this stuff but it gets through - check Vicky Coren's article in The Observer today, she talks a bit about it.)

Jordan went to the jungle for a profile raising jaunt and the public that watch the show collectively decided 'you're a nasty piece of work that thinks you're great and we'll love you - well you're not, we don't and this'll show you'. Good on 'em.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear Andy,

"I'm A Celebrity' is one of the sickest things on mainstream TV.

Anyone who has ever voted for a contestant to undergo a 'trial' should take a good, long look at themselves.

'89TJ' doublethrough.blogspot.com

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:50 AM  
Blogger David Young said...

According to this AOL piece, Jordan got £350k ... as well as lavish accommodation.

http://www.aoltv.co.uk/2009/12/04/i-m-a-celeb-bosses-made-mistake-with-katie

As Allan has said several times (and I've always agreed): ITV is run by idiots.

DY

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home