Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Get it quietly

There are certain phrases in poker which become even better when one particular person says them. Of course, no one says “you’ll be alright” quite like Francis. No one says “different gear” like Action Dave. And no one says “get it quietly” like Dr. Channing. I was knocked out twice in Luton this week when I could have used the sepulchral tones of the good doctor to effect.

I don’t want this to sound like bad beat stories, but anyway, on Monday I have the overpair, he has the flush draw, its all in on the flop and he makes it on the river. Cue clenched fist and shout of “Yes !”. On Wednesday it goes all in pre-flop with AKs (me), AJs and QQ. AJ, who believe me has no business putting a single chip in this pot, defies the odds to make his flush and treble up. As I am nursing the 300 I have won in the side pot he sits there with a face like a smacked arse and goes “Urrgh that’s the first pot I’ve won all evening”.

Now neither of these qualifies as a full rubdown and I fully admit that when little things like this get under your skin it shows you’re not in the right frame of mind to play. Monday was the KO anyway and when I lost the 300 on Wednesday I upped and left even though rebuys were still going. But what happened on Wednesday put Monday into perspective. The guy was excited and happy he won the pot, and good luck to him. When someone puts his money in almost stone dead, trebles up and is still fxcking miserable it makes you wonder why he’s there at all. It certainly wasn’t to make money, based on his play up to that point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home