Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Where's the value ?

Some of you may have seen a discussion I had with Harry D on the Mob forum today. I've never met Harry, but he went up a mile in my estimation with what he said after winning the VC Cup, and a bit more after conducting himself extremely well in the infamous Arieh incident. And I know he really does want what's best for poker. I just had to take issue with him for recommending that everyone should play at the Vic this weekend.

For sure the event has a low rake and a good structure - but those factors should be well down the list when you choose your game. Saving £50 on the rake won't help much if, as I pointed out, your EV in the tournament is around the -£1,000 mark (it's a £3,000 buyin). And if you are a dog to the field, then the last thing you want is a "good" structure ! If I have to play against that class of player, which I don't, but if I did, can I have a crapshoot please ?

And funnily enough I was about to send similar comments to the WPPA. All the reports indicate that fields are both small and very tough. The fish are showing unusual wisdom by staying away ! And I go where the fish go, pretty much. So I was going to ask them what they're doing for the part time player, but when I got there, it turns out they are running single table satellites with basically 100% added ! $500 to buy in, a $5000 seat to the winner plus an ADDED $5K seat to the highest placed WPPA member (ie second seeing as everyone will sign up). Double money single tables ! Arrgrglglglglgllglglgl. I wish I was there now. Perhaps I will pop over in January after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Felicia :) said...

It was fantastic. Last night six people "earned" a seat, five people were given a free seat. In the noon sat, four people earned a seat, four free seats were given out. There were three supers which were ran that way.

The main event is going on now, as we speak. I believe the final tally was about 100 players.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home