Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Friday, June 17, 2005

Disaster Strikes

There I was happily watching Jesse and Padraig shoot the shit via CardPlayer when I thought "I know, I could hear this better if I plugged in some speakers". Plugged in speaker. Horrible "fzzt" sound. Laptop dies. FUCK.

Now on auxiliary laptop but it is all rather annoying. I have opened a bunch of new online accounts on the new one and I don't have the necessary on here to connect to half of them. What I do if my new laptop is dead is anyone's guess.

On top of that I'm on holiday tomorrow anyway. Ah, I'll worry about it when I get back. In the meantime I'll be incommunicado. Until Wednesday, Elvis could ride into the Rio on the Loch Ness Monster, win the $1500 No Limit Shootout, say Thank You Very Much and leave the building, and I'll be none the wiser.

21:09 Wild celebration ! It's working again. I just had to hold the power key down long enough for it to realise it was in "I'm fucked, better reboot" mode. Woo hoo ! This is like getting your entire roll in with KK against AA on a flop of AAK and having a fifth Ace come out on the river. You're no better off than you were 5 minutes ago, but it still feels great ! Right. I can enjoy my holiday now. Until the toga party ...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God Ward, for someone in the computer industry, it's clear that hardware isn't your forté.

1) Never plug in things like mice, keyboards, speakers, when computer is on.

2) If machine folds up, hold down start key for five seconds.

Oh, you spotted that one. Well done.

Then again, the IT guy at my company managed to lock up all my machines by setting up a macadress on the laptop, but forgetting to set it up on the host machine. Result, host machine locks itself out and modem/router has to be rebooted from default. Except that he didn't even know how to do that, so had to phone Belkin.

I reckon I could do a better job than that.

I hope you appreciated Lord Miros's rubdown of BDD. If Bill is already in the US, it could be one of the first intercontinental rubdowns. Hands across the ocean indeed.

Pete

10:51 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Tell me about it !

3 or 4 years ago at work when we made a decision to move into a hardware related area (previously we were just pure software) one guy sniffed "Hardware ! That's for people who mend their own bikes"

I was saying "Testify !". I didn't even mention the other night when my Internet froze while I was in the freeroll on Party. I rebooted the computer, I switched to the other laptop, I did everything EXCEPT power the modem down. Next morning I called the idiotline (for idiots like me) and that's what the recorded message suggested. So I did. And it worked. A bit late though.

Andy.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home