Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Friday, July 23, 2004

Gambling with other people's money

Ten years ago, I made a concerted effort to sort my finances out and try to ensure that I wouldn't have to work till I'm 70.  One of the packages I was sold was a 10-year PEP.  £60 a month tax free savings.  £60 a month x 12 months x 10 years = £7,200 paid in.  This morning I phoned them to check what this great investment is now worth prior to maturing.  It's worth £3,300.

Now, this isn't a surprise.  I do open some of the letters they send me.  It's just confirmation of the worst.  I don't want to work out how much it would have made at 2% interest in a bog standard bank account, and I don't want to know how much I have been charged for their investment expertise.  I just want to vent my bad beat story :-)

Seriously though, caveat emptor and all that.  But what a fucking dreadful performance that is.  Ten years ago, an extra £60 a month was a squeeze, and now I find I would have had a better EV buying scratchcards.  Live and learn.  Fortunately I did so well out of my flat this is basically complaining about losing a £40 pot just after winning £500.  As for my £3,300, I will decline the option to re-invest.  Give it to me and I'll invest it.  Betfair here we come !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home