Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Saturday, October 01, 2005

It'll Never Catch On

Back from the £500 at Gutshot. No good then :-). About an hour and a half in I had slightly more than my starting stack when I decided it was time to get funky and raise with Ks6s. Both blinds called. Flop KcQs2s. Check check, I bet. SB check-raised. I launched it all in. He actually thought about it before calling with a set of Queens, which filled up on the turn. I had 500 left but was out on the next hand. First out on our table. Standard of play wasn't bad in fact, there was one fish (besides me), also the Guvnor Willy Tann, Burnley John who was solid and Sue Jones who played quite well and was a bit unlucky. Most of the rest were pretty tight.

I don't know though. I left the house at 6.15 in plenty of time I thought, but arrived at 8-30 (it was a lot like Planes Trains and Automobiles), it kicked off late at 9, I played for 1 1/2 hours and I have just arrived home. Plus 2 hours on Wednesday to pick up the ticket. £15 travel expenses which would have been £30 more if I'd lasted past 12-30 tonight. Playing till 4 am (at least I would assume) and back the next day at 2 pm. Call me old-fashioned but I don't think it will ever replace good old online poker !

None of the above was Gutshot's or Sporting Odds' fault I should stress. Full marks to them for kicking in £10K although to put that into perspective I played 14 tournaments on line in September, and the total monies added came to more than $100K. Word to the wise for Sporting Odds while I'm here : having players and dealers wearing identical "Sporting Odds Poker Team" shirts looks a bit funny. Just a word to the wise is all :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I was just thinking to myself, having read that they have only just got down to the last 18 at about 7.30am, that the only reason I would dream of playing b&m tournaments would be if I wanted that "fame" part of Careers (you know, where you have to allocated 60 points to fame, money and happiness). Hell, your weekend is gone, man, gone.

As it is, I'm up with the lark, fresh as a daisy, ready to do my bollocks on Party.

I seriously thought of either driving up there last night or possibly going up by train (not much time difference, it's just a matter of what needs the exercise more, my legs or the rarely-used car). But even that four-hour jaunt (allowing for a couple of hours' chat) seemed too much.

You are right. This b&m stuff will never catch on. Suppose online poker had been invented first. Would anyone dream of inventing face-to-face tournaments?

Pete

8:30 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

My God you're right. 6 hours between the end of Day 1 and the start of Day 2. We [the English] haven't got the hang of these multi-day tournaments yet. I'll probably come on to that in another post today.

Slightly embarrassed to see my early exit in technicolour on the live report. Never mind :-)

I used to like Careers. Best off playing online and seeking the fame by spotting the yellow-bellied sap-sucker I reckon.

Andy.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home