Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Thursday, March 16, 2006

So Long, Schlubs !

So, today I went into work and told them I wanted to quit. They were fine about it, to be fair they've always dealt with people professionally and very well. I was expecting a grilling off the Chief Exec but he was sympathetic to the point of concerned. Wheels are in motion and I should be out of there in a month or two. Free ! Free I tells ya !

All this has come about because of a combination of factors. Mostly I'm just tired of the job. Only this week I was trying to fix someone's test code. They had set up this routine so that passing in zero meant "leave this field absent", and anything else meant "set it to this value". Evidently at some point it had dawned on them that sometimes they needed to set a field to zero. So did they add parameters for presence/absence ? Define a constant that implied absence, set to a high value that would never be used ? Or decide that to set a field to zero, one should pass in -2, comment this in one place only, and let some other cunt worry about it ? You've got it in one.

I don't need to put up with this when I have 10 years living expenses in the bank and I can cover the nut playing poker one hour a day. I am buying a flat which will cut my expenses considerably. That was the other factor that pushed me over the edge this week. I didn't want to scam anyone, and it seemed a bit sneaky to arrange a mortgage based on having a salary of X, and then promptly quit. I explained it to the bank and basically they couldn't care less as long as the payments keep coming in. Another quiz for you, was this a) because I have banked with them for 8 years, am putting up a sizeable deposit and have a sound overall history or b) because as long as all their boxes are ticked, they'll lend money to anyone, worst case being that I default and they can have my flat for hooker/cocaine parties. Not a certainty this one but on the balance of probability I'm going with b.

So any day now I will be joining the ranks of the idle. Modern day heroes like Bad Beat, The Camel, Titmus and DY. The only thing is, since I made the decision, 15 Sit and Goes, 3 cashes, 0 wins. It's just a test of faith ...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'luck mate. 10 years' living expenses is a good level. I think that I have about five years' expenses, living reasonably comfortably (no mortgage to worry about at Birks Towers, remember - But To Let made me a lot more than poker ever did or ever will...) and not allowing for any profit at poker.

And yet... hell, when would I ever leave the house?

I think that you will make it financially, but it's a lonely life. The major danger is that you'll just get mentally bored with it all.

Pete

7:53 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

I have tried to cover all the angles thinking about it. The CE at work, who is a very sharp guy, asked me all the questions I have asked myself, and that kind of stuff was in there. The point is that I'm bored at work already. Bored out of my head. As for social interaction, the people I work with are nice enough mostly, but I have nothing in common with them (apart from the software/nerd aspect). Most of them are 10 years younger than me, and married.

If I'm climbing the walls at home I can get another job. Given that my wage requirements will be so low, I'm sure I could find something that's enjoyable and not stressful. I thought of working in a library the other day, reading books and going "Shhh" at people. Seriously for a moment, not working gives me the time to go out, meet people, do things and still have enough space for myself. Oh, and the TV's not coming back either :-)

Andy.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Fred Titmus said...

At least that's the end of Blues v Whites...

1:29 AM  
Blogger David Young said...

All the best Andy. I think you'll do well, as you seem to have a good grasp of game selection, which is of more importance to the pro than the amateur.

DY

1:43 AM  
Blogger Rob Sherwood said...

I would wish you good luck, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to need it.

Definitely worth considering that if the bulk of your play is online then you are not confined to staying in England, imo not enough people take advantage of this.

Good luck

Rob

9:56 AM  
Blogger SimonG. said...

Best of British.
Now what are you going to call "secrets of the amateurs"??

Now there's no work reason to stay in England, but if you do, you could also consider a move to a more remote location (with ADSL of course..) if that means no mortgage...

Unless Barnet/QPR is too much of a magnet, of course....

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck, Andy. My prediction is you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner....

2:47 AM  
Blogger Standaman said...

“Only this week I was trying to fix someone's test code. They had set up this routine so that passing in zero meant "leave this field absent", and anything else meant "set it to this value". Evidently at some point it had dawned on them that sometimes they needed to set a field to zero. So did they add parameters for presence/absence ? Define a constant that implied absence, set to a high value that would never be used? Or decide that to set a field to zero, one should pass in -2, comment this in one place only, and let some other cunt worry about it ? You've got it in one."

If this really upset you, then yep you need to find something else to do. Good luck I think you will do well.

Hell most guys who give it a go barely have 10 weeks living expenses banked let alone 10 years no pressure and remember when the going gets tough you can always go back to fixing some other bugger’s mistakes the sloppy/lazy developer will always be with us

12:14 PM  
Blogger Lord Miros said...

Two questions:

1. Why am I not classified as a 'modern day hero'? Frankly, if I actually had any feelings, they'd be hurt.

2. Nuts to the bank, can I use your flat for hooker / cocaine parties?

5:55 PM  
Blogger redsimon said...

Good luck with it Andy.

Have you axed the "secrets..." site. Last time I logged on it was blank :(

9:00 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

I think I've fixed that now, can you have a look ?

Thanks,

Andy.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Andy

Did the same before Xmas, and Feb was my best ever month

Wishing you a similar start. You've certainly got a headstart in some crucial areas....

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home