Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Action From The Vic

You might be interested in Lee "Final Table" [1] Nelson's trip report on his win in the £1000 NL at the Vic this week. Here's the first part, and here's the final table. A couple of interesting extracts :

"With a few notable exceptions ... the Brits play mainly old school poker. Although this strategy keeps them out of trouble for the most part early-on, it becomes a liability later when the blinds and antes become more significant. It also leaves them vulnerable in the early stages to being trapped by speculative hands, such as small pairs and suited connectors."

and "A player who had a lot of chips and is reputedly one of the leaders in points for the European player of the year opens from the 3-seat for 6000 with blinds of 1000/2000/200. It’s passed around to me in the BB and I call with two red 8s. The flop is a delightful Ks Kh 8s; ck/ck on the flop; turn is Qs. I bet 10,000 and he calls; river is Js. I’m concerned about the possibility of his having pocket queens or jacks, so I decide to check with the intention of calling a reasonable bet, so as not to go broke on the hand. He does exactly that—makes a “reasonable” bet of 30,000. I call and he shows me pocket threes!!! Then he proceeds to tell me how lucky I was!"

If anyone knows who had the pair of threes, do share !

[1] He and Stuart Nash will presumably have to fight for the nickname.

10 Comments:

Blogger SimonG. said...

You missed this - which must be worth a comment or two?

Finally, here it came: Ako in the sb and a ground skinner (all pass) around to me. I limp and here comes Willy (Tann)with a larger than usual raise to 10,000, grossly over-betting the pot. I move in for an additional 47,000 and he insta-calls, showing AJs.....

8:33 PM  
Blogger David Young said...

OK, if I have to be the first to ask so be it, but what on earth is 'old school' poker?

DY

9:04 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Well you'd have to ask Lee Nelson, but I speculate that he means tournament poker as it was played 5 to 10 years ago. Fairly tight, lots of head shaking and "how could he play that" while being blinded off.

But I'm only the messenger on this one !

Andy.

12:11 PM  
Blogger David Young said...

As I recall, the Aussie Millions has been won twice by English players - Peter Costa and Tony Bloom*. Given that Brits were a minority in the fields both years, that's surely some endorsement of the approach.

DY

* in fact, it's never been won by an Australian. Apart from the two British winners in 2003 and 2004, it was won by New Zealanders in 2005 and 2006!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

David,

Did you really take this as a slight ? I'm a British tournament player and I wasn't offended at all.

Neither Tony Bloom nor Peter Costa play a tight style, in fact Bloom is specifically mentioned by Nelson as one of the exceptions. And even if they did, what do the results of two tournaments prove ?

Andy.

2:12 PM  
Blogger MadYank said...

Gotta Say. Lee's writeup comes off a bit twatish to me. Mostly emphasizing his greatness when sucking out on others and how unlucky he is when others suckout on him. Not too impressed either with his complete dismissal of Dave Colclough as a player worthy of any respect (His tone and description bely his self opion as the miles best player of the final 3)

8:58 PM  
Blogger David Young said...

Andy,

in general I'm suspicious of any time someone talks about a new paradigm. Jesse wrote some marvellous bollocks here:

Click here

DY

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotta love the strong play with 3's & i can just see myself getting into trouble like that - but i wasn't there...not guilty

marc goodwin perhaps?

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes the 33 was marc - and the QQ was me! I wasn't short stacked - i got to the final table. Lee should have folded!

A. Mackay

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought Colclough says he doesnt do deals eh?
LOL

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home