Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Saturday, May 20, 2006

I Was Saying Boooo Dog

Booo ! Jeers to Bodog. If you see any of their representatives at the WSOP, throw rotten fruit at them. Here's what their website says :

"This weekend Bodog will be guaranteeing 40 seats to the WSOP Main Event with each prize package worth a whopping $12,500. This Saturday a total of 25 Main Event packages will be up for grabs followed by another 15 Main Event packages on Sunday - guaranteed!"

For a couple of weeks they have been running satellites on a Saturday, $67.50, $125 and $250, with one $12,500 WSOP package guaranteed in each case. They have been running at about 50% capacity, that is a nice 100% overlay. Until I sat down in one tonight. $125+10, 47 runners, yum yum. Oh, wait a minute. The tournament has disappeared without a word of warning or information. And it seems my account has been re-credited with $135.

It's the old "When Is A Guarantee Not A Guarantee". When it's costing us too much. The lobby for upcoming sats says "Tournament registration must reach the minimum number of players or it is cancelled". It doesn't say how many this minimum is. What am I going to do you might say, take them to the international court, or fly a helicopter to Costa Rica, all guns blazing. There's nothing I can do.

Except take my business elsewhere. That's out of order. I know they're still having some satellites with added money, but I don't appreciate having my time wasted only to be denied because a completely unspecified "minimum number of runners" has not been met. That website text once again :

"This weekend Bodog will be guaranteeing 40 seats to the WSOP Main Event with each prize package worth a whopping $12,500. This Saturday a total of 25 Main Event packages will be up for grabs followed by another 15 Main Event packages on Sunday - guaranteed!"

If you don't trust someone, you don't deal with them. Goodbye.

Update : Within 10 minutes of sending them a "Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells" Email, I received an obviously cut and pasted response, which included the false statement that the satellites were "still the best value on the net". Either they've had a bunch of complaints already or they were anticipating them. As I made clear in another curt response, they hadn't anticipated them enough to make the situation clear before people registered.

Final Update : Predictably enough, the actual minimum number was stated in one place, sufficiently easy to miss that I missed it. So techinically they're fine. Make your own choice. I'm sufficiently irritated to move them right down the list of sites on which to play. It's not like there's nowhere else.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear All,

I couldn't give a monkey's toss about Bodog (Andy didn't you use to be quite down on satellite-type tournaments?) but the lively chav debate caught my interest.

The best site dealing with this topic got closed down long ago having not enough bandwidth to cope with demand. However http://www.chavscum.co.uk may provide a few laughs all the same.

To the chap who used to work at MacDonalds who likes a giggle in KFC: Andy was slating the behaviour of somebody insulting low paid, menial type workers, seeing as you didn't you can hardly take offence, no names were mentioned.

Gl all!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

I still am down on satellites. Except when there's a double money overlay. When I free up some time to play satellites expecting a double money overlay only to find the tournament disappears with no explanation that's when I ......... must stay calm. c-a-l-m. That's better :-)

I'd like to draw a line under the other business but yes, that's how I see it.

Cheers,

Andy.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

You're quite right of course. I can't believe I actually said 'monkey's toss', I think I must have just suffered a nasty beat or something...

I've heard Bodog is quite fishy though so maybe boycotting them would be counter productive. Personally I'm not going to check it out until I can remain calm as you suggest.

Over that last couple of months I've 'won' 7k or so playing tightly and aggressively at the mid-stakes NL, then done it all back again over just a few hours of madness. When you learn how to keep calm you really must give me some tips!

(Hmmm... Maybe hypnotherapy is the answer?!)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Andy
Just discovered this blog, it is an outstanding read!

Quality quality stuff

10:42 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Thank you, that's very kind.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home