Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Now We're Cooking On Gas

I've made the final of the $500 No Limit, 4 pm here today. I'm second chip leader I think, with 174,000. First place is 80 something thousand, so wish me luck because this is for real money !

I did enjoy myself yesterday. Nothing much happened early on, and after the first break I kicked into all-in mode. I was pleased with the two moves with 23 and 34, both uncalled. The geezer on my left started chirping about it. That works every time but one, I'll have all your chips, the usual. I found KK in early pos and moved in, natch, two or three people chirped about "one move" and the big blind decided to be a hero and called with KQs. Kerching ! "Works every time but one, huh ?" I couldn't resist saying. But he said "nice hand" and we were ok after that, he was alright. It was just funny later on, around the first bubble, when I set him in from the small blind with 27 and he showed me AJ in the big blind and passed. Way to take all my chips !

Anyway, shortly after we hit the money, 54 places paid, I doubled up in the key hand. Playing 1K-2K/300, I made it 6K with Jacks. Geezer called around the button, he'd been fairly active, and we both had about 50K or so. Flop came Jack high. Song tunes going off in my head Mike. So, and this is the key to the whole play I think, I led out for 6K making it look like a weak continuation bet. He made it 10 more. Time for Best Supporting Performance In A Poker Hand. I dwelled a little bit, not too long, called and checked the turn fairly quickly. After about 10 seconds he declared "all in", and 10 nanoseconds after that I called. He turned over 33 and I thought "oh, another set, unlucky mate". However on closer examination there was no 3 on the board and he had shoved the lot in with an underpair. Give him credit for trying I suppose !

Soon after that there was a break and I vowed to just keep doing what I know is right and not worry about how it turned out. And so it turned out pretty well. The situation I had on the last two tables was an absolute dream. It was so fucking sweet. I had double the chips of all the table except one guy, and no one was standing up to me. I was even getting a walk in the big blind about 2/3 of the time. I worked it up to about 210 when a geezer made a gutsy call with KQ, fair play to him, and won the race against my 44. Soon after that we lost players 11 and 10 on the same hand, which was a bit of a shame, but never mind.

So now I have 170, average is about 130, I know one guy from the other table has 200+ and there might be one or two others close to me. Blinds are 2K/4K with a 500 ante so there's a bit of play in it (bugger). I'll just try to take the same attitude into tomorrow. I've played this scenario thousands of times on my software. Literally thousands. I know what to do, so just do it and see what happens. I didn't get much sleep, but I can probably doze a bit through the morning, as we don't kick off till 4. I don't know if there will be any live coverage, I'll try to find out. But it will be 10pm in England, and I wouldn't bother if it was you, so don't feel obliged :-)

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Andy - we'll be rooting for you.

PH

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserve a big result for all the free advice you’ve dispensed down the years.

Best of luck.

Jamie

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear.

Don't know you at all Andy but been following your excellent blog for a while and am rooting for you big style. Perhaps Barnet's FA Cup march will provide some unlikely inspiration........

Rod

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do it!
JQ

5:14 PM  
Blogger Fred Titmus said...

Slight amendment to Jamie's comment.

You deserve a big [kick up the arse] for all the free advice you’ve dispensed down the years.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take no prisoners. I also don't know you at all Andy but I also follow your funny and intelligent blog.

Take it down

AJ

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep us updated on any live coverage - I'm in the US and would probably follow if there is any

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck Andy. As you said, you've been there thousands of times before.

"One move" indeed. Donkeys. Did they learn their trade at Luton?

:-)


PJ

6:54 PM  
Blogger Div said...

All the best Andy. You deserve a big win.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Rob Sherwood said...

What everyone else said - good luck!

Rob

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lionel Hutz wishing you all the very best mate but in the immortal words of Francis,YBA.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all the best mate, we are rooting for you.

Phil Q

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,
Have read your blog over the past few days and was pleased to see that you are doing well in the $500 comp. Good luck!! Hope to catch up when you get back.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What they said: all the best andy!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Spoiler alert*

According to pokerpages, Andy won it.

http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result16433.htmv

Well done.

Jamie

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oioioioioioioio

Phil Q

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Andy.
Shure it was only a matter of time !

Kevin

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is f'ing awesome mate. Well done. Presumably the reason there's no update from the man himself is that he's in the process of blowing it all on hookers and coke?

PH

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Andy. Graet news. And it looks as if no-one on Gutshot or THM has noticed. Yes, we have all finally slipped off the B&M radar....

I like the plug for the "Nipped" tee-shirt.

Save some hookers and coke for me, please.

PJ

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Matthew.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Andy!! I think you've earned the right to be smug now... Enjoy the riches!

Jon

4:50 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Pete,

We took five pictures and that must have been the best one. Imagine what the worst looks like.

If that's the best impression of a natural smile I can do, it's a wonder I ever drag a pot in a live game !

Andy.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Is that Matthew and Jon from DC ? Thanks guys ! Don't worry, I will take the opportunity to be smug when I'm back :-)

Andy.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home