Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Gissa job eh ?

Well it hasn't quite come to that yet, but I am finding it more and more difficult at work these days. Writing software to do something interesting, like this, is fun. Better still when you can think "a-ha, what if I made it do this", and then you make it do it, and you can see it doing it. Writing nerdly protocol software that doesn't do anything interesting, it just has to do it 4000 times a second on a 6x4 card with 6 nines reliability, which makes it really complicated and annoying, is driving me to the edge of insanity. In case you couldn't tell from the rants on this blog, the only outlet for my steaming brain.

Seriously though the time is rapidly approaching when I would rather do something less stressful and more fun, for less money. Well ideally for the same money but it seems unlikely. And one of the few career paths I can think of that would be more stressful and less fun than what I'm doing now is poker "professional", so we won't be doing that in a hurry.

So maybe it has come to the point where feelers should be sent out and ears placed to the ground. I like poker and writing and football and gambling and computer software, probably in that order. I'd like to do something involving as many of those as possible, for a reasonable return. Insert any joke suggestions below so we can all enjoy them. Any serious proposals, however tentative, email me andy@pokersoft.co.uk . Any advice from anyone who has trodden the same path before would also be very welcome.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good ol' DC, eh? Took you a whole month for you to get tired of the whole '5 day a week' job thing ;-)

Hope you manage to find something fun - writing nerdy protocol software is enough to make anyone suicidal...

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any future in writing API software for some of the developers aiming it at Betfair?

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about producing a poker bot that can make a profit somewhere? You don't have to beat the big games, but it would be interesting to see it making money and when playing multiple tables you may even be able to make a few bob.

Who knows, with the right "marketing" you could either sell it on (and it's successors) or you may get snapped up by a software house to write for them?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Maybe my current state of mind is a reaction to going back on a 5-day week and moving into a design phase where unpleasant issues lurk around every corner.

If I can just sit there with my headphones on coding and testing off a solid design I'm as happy as can be, in professional terms, the day flies by. Unfortunatly I seem to spend much less time in that mode recently.

Andy.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jon Thomson said...

I like poker and writing and football and gambling and computer software, probably in that order.

Sounds like you want Tony Cascarino's job then :-)

12:59 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Lol yes, that would be ideal !

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home