Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Books and Bits and Bobs

Thought I might as well give you the low-down on the books I picked up in the US. Matt Matros' book I have already covered, it's interesting but doesn't contain a lot of strategy info.

Super System II was maybe just about worth it for Todd Brunson's 7-card hi-lo chapter and Bobby Baldwin's limit Omaha 8 chapter. I'm not dead keen on the PLO advice and Big Dave D, whose judgement I trust in this game, has slated it. I can't really comment on Jennifer Harman's limit HE advice because I fell asleep trying to read it. Negreanu's triple draw section makes sense, should I ever find myself playing 200-400 triple draw, which seems unlikely. Brunson's NL advice is good but virtually a reprint of SS1, and the tournament section is pointlessly short.

"Tournament Poker and the Art of War" is moderately interesting but does make the common (almost universal in fact) mistake of over-emphasising survival in tournaments. You might be better off buying The Art of War itself (which is awesome) and drawing your own parallels.

Finally I considered it well worth $12.95 for another copy of "Play Poker, Quit Work and Sleep Till Noon" because the cover has fallen off my other one. That's how good this book is - you should have two copies :-)

. . .

Back to work for me tomorrow. Current spread on what time I fall asleep is 2.30/2.45 . Tomorrow might be a bit like going in hung over. It saves time not to do anything at all, because it'll only take you longer the next day to undo it and do it again right. You can probably tell from this disjointed post. Hopefully I will be awake by Wednesday when we should be filming some more "Bar Beat". I'll let you know how (and if) it goes. Having picked up a taste for NL cash in the US I might well focus my live efforts on Gutshot and the Vic at weekends, playing tournaments (Gutshot £100 freezeout sounds juicy) and trying out some cash on the side. I know Luton rocks on a Friday night but it's hard to play 8 hours after a day at work and I'm practically all out of holiday already.

. . .

I read a trip report today that was so depressing it made me realise there's a lot about live tournaments in England that I don't miss at all. I'm not going to name names here, if you think like I do I'm sure you'll know it when you see it. Finally, commiserations to Joe on his TV bubble finish in the WPT $25K. After having lunch with him in Vegas, I know he will be very disappointed now, but in time hopefully he should take a lot of positives from the result.

. . .

Finally finally, it's Chelsea v Liverpool in the Champions League semi-final this week. No wonder Alex Ferguson is so tetchy lately, as all the focus is on this game. I couldn't help noticing two adjacent headlines on the BBC website. "Mourinho issues Robben warning" and "Benitez hands out Gerrard warning". Benitez just hands warnings out - Mourinho issues them. It's kind of apt don't you think ? Although I have a funny feeling Liverpool might sneak this. As long as they keep choking in the Premiership I'm happy anyway :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Jon Thomson said...

Did you consider buying Dan Harrington's NLHE tournament book? In the event you already had it, what did you think of it?

11:47 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

I had been hoping to keep that quiet but I suppose the cat is out of the bag by now - Harrington's book is top notch. It has helped me no end.

8:37 AM  
Blogger SimonG. said...

Did you get your copy of Fox at Gambler's bookstore?
I can't find a copy on the net for anything less than silly money, (ok I haven't tried THAT hard) but if your old copy is still in readable condition then how about giving me a loan of it until WSOP and I will bring you back another copy brand new if I can get it there at $13...??

3:36 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Sure, I can lend you my "second". Drop me an Email and we can sort that out.

BTW though I don't have any dollars, used the last to pay my hotel bill :-(

Andy.

6:05 PM  
Blogger SimonG. said...

I once explained the concept of using paper $ to settle the hotel a/c to a fellow Brit (on the basis that you travel heavy in case you run bad)and you could see the faint resemblence of a very low-powered light switch on somewhere internally. He had been complaining that his cc card charged a bad rate and the fx dealer also charged a bad rate. I think he was taken by the genius of it all. I think that day The Mirage waved goodbye to another Big Wheel punter....

Email sent - cheers.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High Stakes on Great Ormond St. had a copy on Wed 27th April.

Twas either $15 or $19, and somewhat closer than Vegas.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.bewild.com/whyworktshirt.html

you can get that shirt here

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home