Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Take It Like A Man

Am I just getting old or is football a little bit more childish, a little bit more petty every season ? A number of examples caught my eye this weekend.

Obviously you had Dyer and Bowyer fighting each other like the chavs they are. I'm sure you don't need me to expand on that, we've already heard enough about "a sad day for Newcastle United". I mean come on, no one died or anything. I'll stop before I weaken my own case here :-). Something else that happened in the same game, do try to see this if you haven't, Newcastle's Steven Taylor performed an excellent save low to his left from Darius Vassell's shot - the only problem being that Taylor is a centre half. It was just that after palming the ball away he immediately fell to the ground clutching his chest like he'd been shot, I mean literally like a child playing Cowboys and Indians. Does he wake up this morning and think "well, I made myself look a bit of a twat there" ? And finally we saw Robbie Keane stalking off like a 10-year old when Tottenham made their last substitution, leaving him on the bench.

Meanwhile I was at QPR where we lost 3-1 after a poor second half performance. Not good but these things happen and it was against Sunderland who are top of the league. But with about 3 minutes left there was a commotion behind me and I saw one guy, who must have been about 60 years old, absolutely frothing at the mouth, slagging off Holloway and having to be ushered away by stewards. It was nice to see a few people sticking up for the manager and giving him some back, I must admit even I stood up and had a word, in the heat of the moment. But Rangers would be nowhere without Ian Holloway and I just can't believe someone can be so vitriolic over one defeat (incidentally only the second in 10 games).

The bottom line is that outside of the 3 big nobs pretty much everyone loses as many as they win, over time. Give it your best but if you lose a game, how about keeping your self-respect, and taking it like a man ?

3 Comments:

Blogger Felicia :) said...

I did not fight anyone, much less Bowyer. Please get your facts straight before you start passing around rumors about me!

lol :)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Ah, if only ! I'm sure I speak for all football fans when I say I'd love to see you put Bowyer in his place ;-)

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who was Keane stalking then?:)

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home