Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Friday, April 29, 2005

Missing The Party

It is looking increasingly unlikely that I will be able to travel to the WSOP in June. Work are pushing back very strongly against two weeks off at a crucial time in our development plan, and I don't think it's worth going for just a week. OK I'm not saying I can't go - you can do anything you want to in this life if you're prepared to take the consequences. I could tell work where to go and fly out to Vegas for 3 months if I really wanted to. I choose not to at the moment :-). There are upsides - I can make use of my holiday better and maybe save the next trip until Christmas/New Year (which is very tempting). The Series could be a bit of a zoo this year anyway, and I wasn't able to go when I really wanted to - when the Shooutouts and 7 Card Hi-Lo tournaments were on. Onwards and upwards - and if I wanted to go for the social side (which I did) then I really could make an effort to be more social over here.

. . .

So all I have to look forward to this weekend is spring cleaning. Am I so vain you ask ? Of course not. Unfortunately the guy who came in to fix my boiler on Wednesday has grassed me up to the landlord for, well, wallowing in my own filth to be honest. It's a good opportunity to throw a lot of stuff out. In fact I have already started. As usual I am very (and rightly) cynical about the claims of TV adverts but I have to admit that Cillit Bang stuff does the fucking job. I daren't spill any of it mind you it would probably go through to the bone in about 3 seconds.

. . .

Oh yeah, we did film some more "Bar Beat" in the Western on Wednesday (while the boiler guy was gathering evidence against me). The Western would be quite good if there were any actual games to play. So I shared the sofa with Howard Lederer and Ben Roberts for one of them. And, erm, DY and Jon Shoreman for the other. I wish I had been in the last one with Chris Ferguson and Dr. Channing because right at the end Ferguson said that when he sat down at a table on Full Tilt it would be full within seconds. Sadly (for shame Hugo) no one quipped "that's just like you in the Vic Neil". Fun anyway. And they paid me - kerching ! Fortunately Ivey had been delayed by the WPT final and so I didn't have to sit there star-struck and tongue-tied, I do respect Lederer but Ivey is the coolest !

. . .

Speculation is rife that Hasan Habib "owned" 50% of Tuan Le in that self-same WPT final. Seeing as they were three-handed with Paul Maxfield, IF this is true then that would represent a hell of a conflict of interest for Habib, at the very least. This could end in tears at some point, it really could. But how else can people play $10K tournaments every week, when no deals are allowed ? And how can you stop it ? Any rules you make are more likely to end up punishing the innocent than catching the guilty. Oh well. One more reason not to waste too much time and money chasing these tournaments I suppose.

2 Comments:

Blogger SimonG. said...

Does that mean that my flight commission is out of the window then?? I was banking on that...

Isn't the ticket non-negotiable? Are you really going to let that expire worthless? If I was in your shoes I think I would offer to put an extra 40 hours into the previous week and then "pretend" that in effect I was only away for 1 week rather than 2....

Telling work where to stick it must be growing on you.....

10:10 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

I can re-use the value of the ticket any time till next March and I'm basically £100 out of pocket. It's not too bad.

Andy.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home