Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Monday, October 24, 2005

People Forget It's About Entertainment

So said Thierry Henry after Arsenal's comedy bungling penalty routine on Saturday. There is a fine line between entertaining and showing disrespect for your opponents in this case, but I'll take his point, and it's nice to see someone saying that.

It's something that I forget too at times. Not just the satellite thing, but I flicked through Pokerstars today and they're putting on some tournaments with 5000 starting chips and half-hour levels. Most of them are $20/$30 and a couple even $10 ! So I start thinking what's the point of that, who wants to play 5 hours for $10 EV. But of course, the point is that some people would enjoy it. Who am I to knock it just because I wouldn't.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The $10 could be fun not for the poker but as spreadbet on how much of the field is left after the 1st level. They might have 5000 chips but that wo'nt stop the carnage in the early rounds the massive overbets just get bigger. 10-20 blinds raising 5000 makes as much sence as doing it with 1500.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't played one but I suspect it's not pure carnage. The $30 yesterday took 13 hours (!!) to complete. The bubble is not speaking to reporters.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

I bet he isn't :-)

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So I start thinking what's the point of that, who wants to play 5 hours for $10 EV."

The 9 out of 10 losers ?

12:09 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Well, exactly. That's what I'm trying to say. Different people have different reasons and if someone wants a lot of poker for their buck then $10 for 4 or 5 hours on average is pretty good.

Andy.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home