Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Monday, August 28, 2006

There's No I In Team

I know I shouldn't let this get to me but, here's another team poker event. What elevates this above the norm is this quote right at the end :

"It was upsetting though that the Limerick based players I had chosen to play felt they had better things to do than represent their county, and this undoubtedly effected our overall performance."

The guy wants to get on his high horse because a few people didn't play. Listen, whatever you think of "team poker", realise that many people, myself included, think that once you have two players at a table with a common interest, it's not poker any more. Furthermore, any event that encourages people to think about playing poker as a team is potentially very damaging to tournament poker as a whole. In the unlikely event that anyone ever asked me to play in such an event, I would turn it down flat. Frankly I'm glad to hear that others have done the same. There's no need to be sniffy about it.

Update : I was also going to take issue with the claim that poker is a "team sport" but it's a good job I didn't. Today I read that poker is a sport because it's on Sky Sports. I would have had to back down in the face of this unassailable logic.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having trouble opening that link but I'm willing to bet this is the same Limerick based player who got sniffy when his fellow Limerick players took exception to being called "cocktards", "faeces throwing monkeys" and worse in his blog. Classy gent!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great News!

A new Poker Team!

http://www.gutshot.com/bforum/showthread.php?t=17728

3:26 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Someone tell them how to spell marvellous before they make up the shirts ...

4:05 PM  
Blogger SimonG. said...

Never mind all that - how laggy was this??

http://www.pokerineurope.com/pokerarticles/detail.php?articleid=898

9:10 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

That Shoreman, what a wag ...

Andy.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home