Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

$2000 Limit (Busto)

10 handed + loose players + no cards = busto. I'll spare you the details. I won three pots early on to get up to 6400 but I think I pretty much didn't win a pot after that.

Which was a bit frustrating because there were only 450 runners and the field was really soft. At least 80% of the players were seen to break one of the golden rules of limit hold-em tournaments : never open-limp, never cold-call. In the house today, Melissa Hayden was next to me to start with and she was quite good conversation, although she did admonish one guy for making a joke about "the seniors opening their colostomy bags". LOL admonishments. She was replaced by Howard Lederer, who didn't remember me from Bar Beat, which was a little galling seeing as we were actually on the same show. Pretty soon that table broke and I was moved onto one with JJ Liu, who never said a word, not that I was particularly chirpy by that point. And also seen wandering around was Ellix Powers, wearing a T-shirt that said "He Was So Mad He Called Me With Jack High". Dude, you had your moment, let it go :-)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although your strategy comments are generally accurate, I disagree about never open limping in lhe tournaments. There are arguments for limping in early position with a range of cards. The strongest play in limit tournaments is 3 betting isolation and ep limping as opposed to raising counteracts this and you usually get a multiway pot raised or unraised.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that multiway pots are what you want in early position. You might have a hand that prefers multiway action but there's a fair chance so do most of the others in the pot, and they have position on you.

Those "never" rules could, if I wanted to be more specific, be stated as "never, unless you know exactly what you're doing and you have a really good reason". And believe me, neither applied to these guys :-)

Andy.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me thinks you should rename this blog spunkitquietly.

"Leaving Las Vegas"?

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy.

You mentioned that your cashcard for your Citi account worked fine.

I've just opened a Citi dollar account, but I can't work out how to get any money sent to me in dollars. Pokerstars only offers the option of euros or sterling. Neteller only seems to offer me the option of sterling, despite me having a dollar account there.

Any recommendations on how I can get dollar cheques for my winnings?

PJ

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pete,

I'm not sure about cashing out in $, I thought Stars would give you a cheque in whatever you request but obviously not.

However, I don't think it's necessary. When I transferred money directly into the Citi $ account from HSBC £, as far as I could tell it gave me exactly mid-rate with no charges. Try a small transfer first, that's what I did. They do hit you for Citi £ <-> Citi $, but not (in my case) for transferring in from outside.

While I'm here, I know it's a bit lame to refer these arguments to a higher authority but I do think that Terrence Chan knows how to play limit hold-em and he said of the same tournament :

"Still a lot of weak play going on; lot of open-limping (which in LHE, is very bad, ifyadidntknow). "

Andy :-)

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chan is applying what he "knows" is correct from short-handed high-stakes Limit to a 9-handed tourney situation where you have about 1% of the necessary chips to really make it a test of a skill. He has IMO under-estimated the desirability in a tourney of seeing a cheap flop. Additionally if you consult your "Texas Holdem for Advanced Players" you'll find a discussion of when limping on the button(!) might be correct.

matt

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, no can do. That one went in the great book purge of 2005.

As I said it was a bit lame of me to call upon a higher authority but Chan is clearly a very smart guy and you may be doing him a disservice. Or you may not. Your points are fair enough. You know I don't give much credit to playing differently in tournaments vs cash but even so cheap flops when calling should be measured against the increased possibility of winning without showdown when raising, if survival is an issue.

Andy.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home