Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Man Who Broke Your Jaw In Monte Carlo

Well, nearly. I'll come on to that. Various shenanigans at the EPT Monte Carlo have caught my eye, mostly via 2+2. On a sidenote, I've been to Monte Carlo on a jolly with work and I thought it was the ponciest, snootiest place in the world so I'm quite glad that a bunch of boorish poker players are oafing the place up. More power to them.

Anyway, it's almost all contained within this thread. The action starts around post 467, where Woody Deck, who may be known to a few Gutshotters, manages to provoke Joe Hachem into flying at him in a rage and having to be held back by security. As no actual fight took place, I was denied the opportunity to use the title of this post in earnest. Not to mention the possible "Hachem hit in face by Deck" that could also have arisen.

Typically, this all arose out of an "I want to see that hand" incident. Reports vary as usual, Hachem is either the innocent party who bluffed the river, said "you win" and folded, or a skank who was constantly trying to angle showdowns all day. I don't really understand the fuss myself. If someone bets the river, gets called and says "you win", then he must have some bunch of crap. Does it really matter what bunch of crap ? But anyway. Hachem then gets a considerable bashing for his general attitude in another thread in NVG. Frankly I'm on the side of the bashers in this one. The way the guy goes "one time" and "story of my life" when he loses is an embarrassment given that he won the biggest crapshoot in history to even be here. What comes across to me is someone who's not enjoying his poker. And seeing as he can hardly need the money, why is he playing at all ? I wonder exactly what terms he signed with Pokerstars. If, and I don't know I'm just saying if, he committed to playing X number of live tournaments for a certain amount of money, then that would have been pretty short-sighted IMO. Because it leads to the possibility of having to do something that you don't want to do, which seems a bit unnecessary when you've won enough in one event to be set for life. Nothing comes for free in this life, and poker sponsorship is no exception.

Anyway, soon after in the original thread, at post 511 banana-smoking wafflecrusher (you have to read 2+2 to understand any of that I know) Shaun Deeb takes exception to some comments made by our own Dr. Channing after his (Deeb's) exit. As Keith pointed out in the thread, it seemed like an over-reaction ; the problem in these spots is that often these poker reporters who drak around tournaments trying to dredge up anything of interest are very quick to report anything that might stir the pot a bit. And it always looks worse written down than it sounds in real life. Anyway Neil gets some random bashing off 2+2 for this and that, although citing his wikipedia write-up that one of his mates doctored for a laugh seems a bit of a stretch.

As for Deeb, I could have pointed out that the last time I played against him online he asked me "could you play any worse ?" after I won a small pot off him blind v blind, when I'd said nothing to him. But there was no point. I did find his epiphany at the end of the thread quite interesting :

"I really hate live and I am only playing live at wsop **** everything else"

That's basically my position, and it took me a lot more live tournaments than Deeb has played to work that out. It's a QFT. If you're good at online MTTs, the only live tournaments you can play that give a comparable hourly rate have such high buyins that your variance is through the roof, and frankly playing them on someone else's money with makeup seems to be the worst way of all to go about it IMO. Even if you make any profit you have to give half of it to your backer. The only tournaments that are just about worth playing are the WSOP because they have the softest fields and they're all concentrated in one place for a month which cuts your expenses per tournament. TBH they're probably still not worth it really but it's close enough to make a nice break from online.

So I'm looking forward to June, and if there are more rows and ructions I should really just pull out the popcorn and enjoy the show instead of getting uptight over it. That's live poker baby.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taking leave of my senses, I decided to disagree with Deck's stance of Catalan not being a language on his blog -lolpointlessdebateaments. I didn't use any rude words but my post was a bit sarcastic.

His emailed response was gold:

'...Catalan is not a language either by my definition, it is a patois, much like Scottish is in English. This situation of refusing to speak Spanish is all too common in Catalunya.

I think Franco was good, and Spain still needs him. I suppose we probably differ on political opinions too. Maybe that is the heart of our difference, something I avoid debating cause I won't win.

Meh, your comment got lost somehow with screwed up blog. Anyway, good luck and take care.'

Lol at my 'lost' reply. I wonder if the kid is also a big admirer of Hitler or if he was just trying to be controversial (/ a dbag). Fwiw I think Hachem was angered by being called an asshole, if he kicked off merely for being demanded to show that's another matter.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home