Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Friday, May 09, 2008

It's OK, I'm Not That Angry

Some people seem to be over-reacting to the negative feedback the WSOP ME change has attracted. Olivert on 2+2 :

"I am talking about Super Bowl-style security precautions, i.e. snipers on the roof above entrances; metal detectors and bomb-sniffing dogs at entrances to screen every spectator, player, and media member; solid barriers in the parking lots to prevent truck bombs from approaching the building, helicopters and/or fighter jets patrolling the building from above to prevent kamikaze pilots and 9/11-style suicide hijackers from crashing planes into the building deliberately, etc. The security threat has gone up substantially from previous years in my opinion. There are too many people who are upset with the WSOP organization for moving the WSOP Main Event final table to November."

Dude, it's OK. I'm not that upset. And in fact, I'm not, really. I'm still not playing it, but that's as much because I don't consider the WSOP ME to be the be-all and end-all must play event of the year. I never have done. Maybe it was in 1993, but there's a 10K event every week now. I didn't find it to be great value last year (although it's possible I just had a bad table draw) and it is the single highest variance tournament you can possibly play by a factor of about 10. Variance is the break even to losing player's friend, but it's the pro's worst enemy.

So it doesn't take much for me to skip it, and this is enough. I do think this decision has been made with absolutely no regard for players outside the US. The benefits, nebulous as they are, all centre around US TV, US companies and the US market. The downsides are all significantly worse for players outside the US. For example, how many days before the final will Harrah's put you up in a hotel for ? Enough to eliminate the effects of jet-lag ?

Very few people have properly assessed the huge stress this is going to put on final table players for those 4 months (exceptions are Sheets and Temp Hutter on 2+2). Players should be compensated directly for this. It's not enough to say "Oh well you'll be able to pimp yourself out for a much better deal". For a start, suppose you can't, because you qualified online or you already have an exclusive agreement in place. In any case, I think that people inside the poker world are grossly over-estimating the amount of media interest there will be in this.

Oh well, as I say, it's enough for me to pass, and put in a solid month of prelims instead. Maybe if I do the lot I can spend what I have left on some dynamite and blow it all up, lol.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi andy, are you selling any action for the wsop side events? if so can u email me at ricktrigg18@hotmail.com thanks.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home