Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Surprising Work/Poker Balance Alteration

I have been a bit pissed off with what I've been doing at work lately, I didn't really want to get up in the morning, and I started thinking about quitting and playing online poker instead - that's how bad it was ! And so (drum roll) ... I have transferred internally and will be working on something else that I should enjoy more. As part of the deal I'm going back to a 5 day week (I have been working a 4 day week for the last two years). It's a good deal - when I went down to a 4 day week I took a 20% pay cut, but now I'm going back to 5 I get a 25% rise ! Do that a few times and I'll be laughing !

Together with the whoring (announcement still pending) that's going to bring in a decent amount of extra money. What I need now is an expensive hobby that involves travelling around the world largeing it. I know ! So I'm going to use some of the extra money to spin it up in slightly bigger tournaments. For fun. For the challenge. Why not. I'm still planning to take a sabbatical next year, and maybe spend three months on the road in the US (or just in Vegas), that's something to look forward to. When people ask "should I play poker professionally", no one mentions the key factor - how good is your job now ? How easy would it be to go back to when (sorry if) the poker goes tits up ? I'm lucky I have a good job - I don't mind making a bit more effort with it for a while.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lord Miros said...

Get it quietly. Some of us are unemployed you know.

12:18 AM  
Blogger The Camel said...

And some of us are unemployable.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad Beat said...

And some are more unemployable than others.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lionel Hutz says...i hear StanJames are offering work to the unemployable. I think all you need to do is string a few coherent sentences together and they stick money in a poker account for you, you'd be amazed at the wasters they have working there.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the pay cut/pay rise. Does a 20% cut followed by a 25% rise not bring you back to where you started?

Or was that a joke?

7:16 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Yes to both. Sorry, it was a very bad joke :-)

Andy.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see.

My thought process was as follows:

1. That's pretty cool (after reading your post)

2. Wait, those numbers don't make sense (after thinking about it)

3. Wait, maybe it was a joke (as I typed in my comment)


Not that I thought you would make such a mistake, but I was half-way through writing my post and did a Magnus Magnusson.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home