Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Words Fail Me (Almost)

I have just arrived back from Luton's £100 rebuy (rebuy !? teach me to check first) comp. I was crippled after I called 4000 on the flop with no pair and two outs, which takes some doing I know, but it was Asif. Luton regulars will need no further explanation.

So having battled through the roadworks dogging my every turn, I make it to Enfield just after midnight. For some reason, instead of the usual kebab-munching stragglers, Enfield High Street is packed with what can only be described as a crowd of people. WTF I am thinking when it hits me. These people are queueing up outside Ottakar's to buy the new Harry Potter book.

The word "sad" is over-used, but really, you sad bastards. We have created a world where people can't wait till 9am to read about the adventures of a 14 year old wizard and his chums. And I thought people staying up for webcasts of a poker tournament involving no one they know at all needed to get a life. And on that note, I'm off to bed.

16/7 pm Non-Luton regulars can find an explanation here. Such as it is :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's 16, actually :)

11:14 AM  
Blogger David Young said...

Fine, but be honest Andy. If you could have made a million by writing half a dozen books about a teenage wizard, you would have done it, wouldn't you?

DY

8:35 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

I'm not knocking the author or the books - I'm just totally perplexed that people can't wait till the morning to buy them !

I wonder if they realised exactly what form of Muggle they would meet in downtown Enfield at midnight on a Friday night :-)

Andy.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home