Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Friday, August 05, 2005

Hip Hip Hooray

Because football is back back back !

I'm not going to have any season bets this year, I usually just stress over them out of all proportion to the insignificant money I have wagered. If I did, then a 4-way win only accumulator of Tottenham, QPR, Brentford and Barnet would surely be the way forward.

Seriously I fancy Tottenham to do quite well this season, but I do think you're burning money backing anyone but Chelsea to win it. Arsenal are the only opposition who have any chance at all. The Championship is wide open, I don't fancy the relegated sides around 6-1 although Norwich and Palace will probably be there or thereabouts ; Ipswich hold no appeal ; Sheffield United are a half-decent bet around 14 but I would be prepared to gamble on Reading around 25, not a bad price if Lita comes off. Brentford I like around 14-16 in a very open division. Once again avoid the relegated sides. League Two is anyone's guess. Wycombe seem to be attracting interest, not sure myself.

I will be opposing the likes of Southampton and Forest just on principle if I have any bets of a weekend, and although it's through my rose-coloured spectacles I can't believe QPR vs Luton are 5/6 each on Hills for a season bet. Stan James go 8/15 QPR the same bet which looks more like it.

Anyway I shall take myself to Underhill tomorrow for the Bees' triumphant return to the Football League. Huzzah !

12/8 Update It is worth pointing out that, on perusal of the archives, this time last year I said "I can't see past Arsenal". And I couldn't. They really looked invincible, right up to the point when Manchester United vinced them. Let's hope that I (and every other pundit in the world) shouldn't be quite so sure, and that maybe the Premiership can at least keep us interested this season.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know little of this game of which you talk, so I rely on your good judgement. I popped into Ladbrokes and had a fifty sovereign win accumulator on the teams you mentioned. The manager was very polite and accommodating and asked me to call again "any time". I asked him if my winnings would be more than £200 if all the teams obliged. He said, "just about".

What a nice man.

Pete

8:38 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

That's not so far from the truth. Ladbrokes will give you a 10% bonus on any season win-only accumulator (minimum treble). Great, that's a 10% bonus for multiplying up your 15% edge on any bet three times or more.

Andy.

8:54 AM  
Blogger redsimon said...

While I wouldn't put a penny on Forest in League 1 this term, I do understand Megson played 4 up front yesterday and he had to sign some defenders as last seasons bunch were pretty useless. In fact the Goalie and back 4 were all new yesterday. Not worth a punt at 9/2 though. (reverse bok intended).

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home