Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Face In The Crowd

I made my way down to the Vic last night to have a look at the refitted card room and play the £250 tournament. The new room is nice, very busy last night and the lack of smoking in the whole place makes a huge positive difference. The much-anticipated mural is actually very cool. What it is, you have to see it really, but it's a sort of montage of the London skyline, with a certain amount of artistic license in that Big Ben and the London Eye are on the same side of the river and Windsor Castle seems to have been relocated to Central London. But the cool thing is that when you get up close, it's made up of half-inch square "pixels" which are headshots (boom ! headshot) of various players, all shaded different colours to make up the overall picture when seen from a few feet away.

The tournament itself was a total donkfest. It's nice to be reminded how unbelievably badly people are capable of playing in these tournaments if they put their minds to it. It made the WSOP look like an elite gathering of the world's top players in the showpiece tournament series of the year. Wait a minute. No, really it confirmed my handy rule of thumb that in general the standard of play in a live tournament is equivalent to the standard in an online tournament with one tenth the buyin (exception : WSOP main event which compares to one hundredth the buyin online). So I was quite enjoying the regular sight of two people butchering a hand appallingly and the loser stomping off muttering to himself about how bad the other guy was. Unfortunately, although I like a fast tournament, an average stack of M5 with 20 players left is a little bit too fast and I succumbed around 15th, in one of two ways depending on how well you understand tournaments :

1) With AK against AQ god I'm so unlucky it was sick, or
2) My pushing with M4, being called by a hand that was miles ahead of my pushing range and losing.

Fortunately just in time to buy in for the £1000 in Luton and catch the last tube home. Thanks to Dr Channing for using his undoubted charm to persuade Sylvia to secure a Friday Day 1 for me and a Thursday for himself. Neil also promised to add me to the betting in this tournament, I wonder how he will price me up !?

Finally today I also signed up to Facebook which seems to be a slightly more grown-up version of Myspace. If you're on there, don't hesitate to hook me up and make it look like I have more friends, which seems to be the main purpose of the exercise :-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Rupert said...

Nice one, I added you although you probably don't really know me, just a regular reader (not some sort of INTERWEB STALKER though).

GL in Luton

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you only _just_ made the cut because of that picture. Still, it makes me look more cosmopolitan :-)

Andy.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Rupert said...

Haha I should probably change that, people might get the wrong idea

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, I think you had better, or I'm going to change my mind :-)

Andy.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I added you despite the fact you have no idea who I am.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've added you too, despite you not knowing who the shit I am.

You have probably unleashed a torrent of latent stalkers upon yourself with this move.

AJ

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meh, probably. But I think I have the power to delete people if they get too stalky.

By which I mean delete from my list on Facebook, not delete from life. Although ...

Andy.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey andy, love the blog, agree with almost all of you what you say, but umm, facebook is for college kids. so amazingly it's actually a less mature place than myspace. Just a heads up before you get accused of trolling for young skanks (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They don't call it Fakebook for nothing.

Added.

Dom.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss your blog. please tell me where I can congratulate you for this past week end on Poker Stars ?

4 th October 07

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Consider it done, thank you. Lately I have been updating this blog more often :

www.secretsoftheamateurs.blogspot.com

Andy.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home