Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Picking Up The Scraps

In poker and gossip both, I am reduced to foraging under the table for bits of skin and rind that even the dogs turn their noses up at. Personally, I've got nothing. Carlos Mortensen is very thin, Joe Hachem is very smug and Maria Ho is very hot. That's about it. In the interest of trying to entertain myself and anyone else anyway, I can cast around the Internet if that helps ...

============

Top source at the moment is this thread on 2+2. By far the highlight is this classic degenerasian story :

"Tuan Le made a bet with a buddy of his (a high limit Commerce player) that he, Tuan, could go for some period of time without playing craps. If his buddy caught Tuan playing craps, Tuan would owe $3K. If Tuan stayed off the craps table (or didn't get caught ldo), he would receive $1K. I don't know if this bet was for the duration of the WSOP or for some other Vegas trip, but there was a bet.Anyway, Tuan gets caught playing craps and owes $3K. They do double-or-nothing and he now owes $9K. They do it yet again and now Tuan owes $27K to his friend.

How can he make $27K really fast? By playing more high-stakes craps, of course!

He ends up dropping $630K."

That's like an urban myth that probably isn't true but is so awesome you really hope it is.

============

Another snippet is this bling vs bling confrontation between David Williams and our very own Devilfish :

"DF immediately started berating Williams on his play of the hand to which DW barked right back at him. This only enraged DF even more and the verbal assult continued...

DF...I don't need some punk kid telling me how to play
DW...well i don't need some OLD man telling ME how to play
DF...u better watch your Fkn mouth or I might knock your teeth out
DW....DO IT THEN!! and you won't be playing WSOP ever again
DF....keep talking big mouth and you'll see what happens
DW...yea well enjoy your time in our American JAIL (if u punch me)
DF...I don't give a fk about jail, i've already been there"

Someone quoted the line on a fight of Williams -190, which I think means that Devilfish would be like 7/4 against. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one lumping on the Fish at that price. Poster was probably fooled by the fact that Devilfish looks like he just stopped off from a Wurzels Reunion Tour. I'd certainly run a mile rather than rumble with the Devilfish (which I might need to if he finds out about that Wurzels comment).

============

Sometimes you really need to turn to the exuberance of youth. Especially today, after I witnessed a nit-off of gargantuan proportions between Tahoe Andrew and Vince Burgio. If there ever was a Battle Of The Draks, that would have to be top of the bill. And so, look no further than Tony Phillips' blog on Pokerverdict. Now, I went out for dinner with the Hitsquad guys after James Akenhead's result, and Tony's fine in person, no problem. I do think he gets a bit carried away in his blog, especially when he's "showing them what Tony Phillips is all about", as follows :

"I've had a lot of great poker minds telling me to ‘forget it’ [busting out 10th in the $1500 PLO] and ‘move on’, and ‘get a bracelet,’ ‘you’re playing great’ and ‘you’re a truly great poker player’. They are 100% right".

Confidence indeed, although he kind of spoils it by saying a bit later : "I'm not moaning, or telling you how great I am". Sorry mate .. actually you just did :-)

============

But is there anything wrong with being proud of your achievements ? Well, I'm here to win a bracelet, I suppose, and if I did then I would wear it sometimes. After all, what would be the point of having it if you didn't. I just don't think I would go as far as Alan Smurfit and carefully place it in front of my chips for all the table to see.

A year later.

In a single table satellite.

Or maybe that's just me. Oh well. I might be a lost cause this year, unless lightning can strike twice in the final event get-out stakes, but at least, even in the Year Of The Pro, Hellmuth is doing his bollocks. And on that happy note, goodnight for now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan Smurfit and carefully place it in front of my chips for all the table to see.

A year later.

In a single table satellite.

Hahahah im still pissing myself.


Lionel

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got to love the Devil Fish, I wonder if he can back up his huge gob!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home