Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Friday, December 10, 2004

Is That a Bubble Bursting ?

As I said, I'm giving the Luton festival a miss this week. It looks like I'm not the only one, as turnouts seem to be on the low side. 52 for the Stud on Monday. OK, it was Stud, maybe it'll pick up when the Hold-Em starts. 81 on Tuesday but then 52 again on Wednesday ! It's not so long ago that festival tournaments in Luton were selling out at 170. What's going on ?

Could be a lot of reasons. These tournaments were capped at 90 runners so maybe people didn't travel because they felt they weren't guaranteed a seat. Quite a few of the better players are in the US at the moment. Hmm, maybe I should play tonight after all ! But it could just be that these endless festivals have finally saturated the market. In the SE alone there's Luton, the Vic, Southampton, Brighton and Gutshot. Walsall's not too far away either and they've just had a big one. Each time, a lot of money goes into a few pockets (someone has managed to win two in a row at Luton this week - it's not a name I recognise but full marks to him for stamina at the very least !), while the majority drop £1000 or so.

It's no skin off my nose either way but we'll await developments in the new year. I'm sure it won't collapse altogether so I'll still have the option of taking the odd shot - an option which I might exercise if I blag a result in the weekly £100 at Luton. If I do I reckon I might as well spin it up around £1000 and try to get lucky, rather than frig around with all these £200 comps which won't change much even if I win.

Correction : 73 runners on Wednesday, 52 on Thursday. Another contributory factor occurs to me : 2-day events. All to the good if you're playing, no one really wants a chip count, but could easily cut attendance as many people can't do consecutive days, afternoons, or even get out of bed before 4pm.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just about to start a thread but your Post-script has saved me the bother.....

Armchair players have long been lobbying cardrooms for a £10 double chance 10,000 chips 10, 20 blinds on a 2 hour clock - obviously leading to a multi day structure, but also obviously ruling out anyone who can't take a day off work on short notice just in case they make a final.

Although it's good to see cardrooms trial out things, I think the numbers speak for themselves this week @ Luton.

The only other thing I would like to see them try would be a 4/5/6pm start on a festival - and fit a good structure in by c.o.b that night. Most people that work could get out of work for a couple of hours with a bit of planning and most slobs can get out of bed in time if they invest in an alarm clock.

Simon G.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Titmus here,

I went up for the £50 pot limit on Sunday night expecting the usual 45-50 runners, at 8pm (start time)there were 13 signed up.

They hung around until there were 25 or so, and I made the poor decision to enter nontheless (although not as bad as Alan Rudge's decision to call my all in reraise (KK) of Dougsie's all in raise (JJ) with Ace Queen. Gifted, these Luton punters.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Now that's a sign of the times. Back in the day, you had to be there half an hour before to get in the "last race of the day" tournament.

As for gifted, like with children, I think the word you're looking for is "special".

Andy.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home