Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Friday, July 21, 2006

Unlucky Man Does His Bollocks

Walking through the Gold Coast I saw one of those jackpot pictures where some slack-jawed retiree poses before a novelty cheque that will be paid out in 20 yearly instalments. It's a shame that these people usually look like they're odds against to last 20 minutes. The banner headline was "Lucky Man Wins Jackpot". Well he would do, I think. He's lucky ! What kind of incentive is this for the rest of us ? If you made the headline "Unlucky Man Wins Jackpot" they would be queuing half way out the door to play.

Away from gambling (just for a moment) I think I was in the sixth form when 1984 came out. I can't remember what year it was exactly [1]. I do remember that at the time Van Halen were much derided and basically classified as girly pop music, along with Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones, because they had keyboards. I mean come on. To be fair though, songs like Jump and Panama stand the test of time and could be said to rock like a bastard, in a Nik Kershaw pop music kind of way.

So we saw last night as David Lee Roth put on an entertaining show at the quite small (and not entirely full) House Of Blues in Mandalay Bay. His band was very good as you would expect and while Diamond Dave has perhaps seen better days, well, haven't we all. He can still get his foot round his ear when he needs to which is more than I can say despite my yoga classes. I bet Dave does loads of yoga. All the classics came out including most of Van Halen 1 which I was never that keen on but there you go. Not as good as Pearl Jam but worth $35 and an evening of anyone's time I would say.

This whole gig business is proving to be one of the main bonuses of the trip. Rollins Band play the same venue next week and I'd really like to see them. I could stay another week, I'm tempted. If I go home I'll have to face stupid reality again. Plus I won't have Internet at home till the 4th. It'll be like living in the Stone Age. If only I knew how I was going to run at poker. I mean if it's going to be a case of "Unlucky Man Does His Bollocks" I should go home, but if I'm going to get more cake I'll definitely stay. All these poker experts and they can't tell us how to work that out. What's the use of any of them ?

[1] Joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home