Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

'Tis the Season

I always used to enjoy reading "The Modern Parents" in Viz, at least partly because as a practising Communist / atheist / hippy / enemy of society in general / all of the above I used to secretly agree with a lot of what they said. And never more so than when they cancelled Christmas for Tarquin and Guinevere because "Father Christmas is a patriarchal authority figure who rewards conformist behaviour with consumer products". How can you possibly argue with that, it's so self-evidently the truth !

So I will spare you the Yuletide homilies and simply kick my feet up for a few days. Don't expect any New Year crap either - the way I see it, either take stock on a regular basis or just wing it day by day, whichever makes more sense than paying lip service to self-improvement for one week a year. Plus, for that week, the poker games are terrible and you can't elbow your way into the gym for love nor money. Luckily normal service is soon resumed.

Anyway, apart from the day itself football and poker continues in full swing, woo hoo ! But can I go one whole day without gambling ? 6-4 says I can't ..

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Father Christmas is a patriarchal authority figure who rewards conformist behaviour with consumer products".
Classic - I could have tried forever and not put it so well. Happy Christmas !

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Xmas, Andy, you old, curmudgeon! Love the blog - keep up the good work...

4:12 AM  
Blogger Eyeofsauron said...

Have a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year, Andy.

I'm going to start posting again soon on my "blog" after a two month break. If I have your permission, I would like to add links to some of your articles if/when the topic is relevant.

Your blog has been very inspirational to me, educational and downright humourous in places! Keep on blogging!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Thanks to all for the Christmas wishes - I'm having a relaxing one, and it's going ok, as long as QPR don't lose today :-)

Anyone is welcome to link to this blog or copy out the odd snippet, provided it's accredited to me, but please don't copy entire entries, thanks.

Don't expect too many entries for a couple of weeks, I could do with a break from poker I think.

Andy.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home