Get It Quietly

Football, bollocks and a bit of poker if you're lucky.

Name:
Location: Enfield, London, United Kingdom

Monday, December 13, 2004

Way To Make Us All Look Like Twats

Big it up for Matthew Stevens who won $500K in that Pacific Poker thing. Phil Taylor was second, and Yevgeny Kafelnikov third. Now I know that this tournament had a fast structure, and I'm not the most informed commentator, having watched about 30 seconds of the entire thing. I happened to flick it on and was treated to Tim Flanders expounding on how to play against bad players. "Takes one to know one" I quipped, and that was enough for me.

But to all poker "professionals" who played in this, for shame. Hang your heads. Not only did you sell out to a horrible event which gave nothing back to the players, you couldn't even manage a place finish between you against a rag-tag collection of Internet qualifiers and celebrities. I expect you tried to bluff them and ended up in the bar moaning "how could they call me with that". Or whingeing about the structure, which was published in advance giving you plenty of time to work out the necessary adjustments. You sorry wankers.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sorry wankers"

Top notch pros like Dave Ulliot, Sunar, Bloom, O'connell, Colclough, sorry wankers i think not. Your blog is turning v. bitter Andy!

Chin up

2:26 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

In this particular case, I think so. It was clear from the off that this event gave nothing back to the players . I, and several others, urged people not to play. There were other events around which allowed logos, added money or whatever. It would be much better for poker players in general if poor events were shunned.

However these players couldn't care less and played anyway, probably salivating at the thought of 50 Internet qualifiers and of course another chance to get their mugs on TV. When celebrities finished 1-2-3 that was adding insult to injury.

Believe it or not I am more positive about the game than I have been for a long time. This is mostly because I have rejected the myth of "the faces". You should try it too. As for me, I'll keep calling it as I see it.

Thanks for your comment anyway, all are welcome.

Andy.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Big Dave D said...

Andy, spot on. How they justified playing it is beyond me. And how the hell everyone justified that Marty business is also beyond me.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not really related, but if you want a good laugh check out the latest post by "Pince Charles" on the mob.
If you want even more of a laugh , check out "Judges Jeffries" reply.
The phrase "don't bother me with the facts I've made up my mind" seems appropriate

10:56 AM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Blergh. Thanks for reminding me why I'm not spending much time on there any more :-)

I recall Mark (Prince Charles) saying something to the effect that he was looking for sponsorship. As I usually do, I thought, what do you do all day ? Why aren't you putting the hours in online ? 30 hours a week is not exactly arduous, and should provide at least $3000 a month if you have a good grasp of game selection and basic technique. More like $5000 if you have any actual talent for the game. However, anyone who plays MTTs online with any intention other than taking the odd shot clearly does not understand game selection at all.

Andy

11:52 AM  
Blogger Big Dave D said...

I dont think winning 250k a year is as inevitable as you put it Andy. I think that the number who are doing this, and will do it year after year, is a lot smaller than all of us would think.

dd

4:55 PM  
Blogger Big Dave D said...

Jesus I just read that post. At first I thought that the JJ reply was a piss take but obviously its not.

On a related point, the sponsorship thread was also funny. Sponsoring Ali Malu and Osman....what a dream!

dd

5:01 PM  
Blogger Andy_Ward said...

$5,000 per month Dave, not per week !

Andy.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Big Dave D said...

Andy

Ahhhh...conservative goals then :-) Fair enough.

dd

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home